Monday, January 28, 2008

Customization

I used to be really into customizing. You know the sort: my car had to have lots of bumper stickers. I occasionally painted it myself. My hair didn’t stay the same color or length for long. I added piercings according to my mood. Notebooks couldn’t just be notebooks. I had to collage the fronts. My book bag had hand-sewn patches. I daily announced to the world that I was different. Special. Better, even?

None of this to say that I no longer like customization. For a time, it was really important to me. But I’m just not there anymore. In that time I was re-assessing myself. Trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted. I haven’t got it all pinned down now, but somehow it doesn’t bother me like it used to.

If you catch me when I’m feeling honest and ask what I want to do after graduation, I won’t give you the slop about teaching, maybe editing one day. I’ll tell you that I want to have babies and raise goats. That’s about how far I’ve gotten. I talk enough for myself, though. I don’t need my blog background to be kids and “kids” (pun intended) to tell you what I’m thinking about.

After reading Juanita’s blog, I did change to Central Time, a detail that I’d completely overlooked before. (Thanks, Juanita!) These things need to be accurate.

After all, this blog is for a class. I’m going to squeeze in plenty about myself, but I want it to be simple and accessible, so that the teacher won’t have to search for my entries. I want my words to speak louder than my template.

I like what my blog is saying. I thought about it a lot when I selected the template, which made it pretty hard for me to change anything. I’m in my January mood right now, so the dark background is appropriate. I’d prefer it was deep brown, but I didn’t like the browns in my palette options, so I stuck with the black. I even like my picture. It’s me and the dog. Winter. Nothing fancy.

With much apprehension, I changed my title from pale blue to dark purple. I think I can stick with that for now. Soon it will be February, and my mood will shift. I already know what I want the blog to look like come March, maybe even April. Colors and organization will change with the seasons, but the basics will stay the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're welcome on the time problem. Glad I could help with one small thing. :~) I look forward to seeing your blog change with the seasons.

Your thoughts in your blog entries are helping develop my understanding of subjects discussed in class. I appreciate that.