Monday, April 14, 2008

Camping with Kids

I was reading through my old issues of Backpacker magazine (admittedly to do research on my upcoming September-long trip through the West...) when I found a section devoted to family issues. I'll blog a lot more of it on "Next Child..." but I wanted to share some highlights from their Sept '07 issue:

Age: 3-6 years:

"Unexpected challenge: getting your child to poop in the woods. Many kids this age will hold it as long as they can, rather than do their business without the cool, clean comfort of the porcelain throne. Obviously, this is not a good or healthy option...

Pack This: Headlamps for every child. If you don't, they'll beg for yours..."

I love the insight shared by people who have obviously been there and done that! With their help, the rest of the world can be a little more prepared.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted a headlamp for camping/hiking! I'm really looking forward to you blog and the information it'll contain. Sounds like you have a great start!

Aa... said...

...so the bear says to the rabbit, "do you have trouble with poo sticking to your fur?"

So bizarre what the blog makes you think of. It's true though, if you can aggregate enough of this "how to" and "been there" lore in one place, the site will be very cool for the outdoorsy parentsy sort.

I feel really bad, not writing out the rest of the joke, but it's a family show....