Thursday, March 20, 2008

Going to Extremes


It is hard to find any sort of balance in life. I am an avid subscriber to the pendulum theory: the idea that society has a tendency to swing back and forth between extremes, rather than settling for a happy medium. I honestly don't know if we can ever change that, but change begins on an individual basis, so it's worth a shot.

Keeping in line with the pendulum, much of what I find in research tends toward extremist views. To some, living a healthy life with exposure to nature requires living in an area best accessed by helicopters (except helicopters are evil), with no access to, dependency upon, or interaction with the outside world. Others perpetrate the belief that nature is outdated and we may as well accept the virtual world as the new reality and not worry about these things at all.

I'm hoping (in reality, and with my planned blog) to land somewhere in the middle. I want to live a life that is conscious of nature, appreciating it and caring for it as best as possible. On my own, I might develop a more extreme vision of what this means, but thankfully (as I mentioned to Donna today) I'm married to a Wii-addicted, internet-poker-playing, tech-loving math geek. He won't let me swing too far.

No comments: