Thursday, March 6, 2008

Wiki Woes

I've spent the better part of my free time today (only about an hour, but hey I don't have a lot of free time on Thursdays...) looking for a wiki that I like. Bad news- I'm having a really hard time finding any. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but my searches have yielded very few interesting results.

Google proved sketchy for specific wiki searches, so I turned to a few wiki providers like wet paint to search their pages. I tried searching for sustainable living, farming, goat farming, backpacking, etc, and I got a lot of hits, but what I found was a lot of pages with very little content. Many of the links on the pages led to nothing, few even had pictures, and content was a rare find. I don't know if they were all just very new, or whether they were just poorly maintained, but they were definitely disappointing.

I'm giving up for now. Wikipedia is the only wiki I've found that I like, and maybe that's my problem. I'm searching for wikis like I search for blogs, limiting my search to really specific topics. But with Wikipedia, I've found that its appeal is its far reaching capacity. Wikipedia doesn't specialize in any one thing: it has a little bit of everything. Is that just the nature of the wiki beast? I'm not sure. But that's all I'm going to get for today... more to come tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Originally, I was finding the same problem. Then I got lucky with simply Google searching 'Travel' and 'Wiki' and found WikiTravel, which from what I can tell is a fairly extensive and well composed wiki. Hang in there, although it sounds like you somewhat exhausted many search options.

Nawal said...

Thank you so much for all of the help! :)

Quetta said...

As I suggested in class the other day, try wikiindex. Thats how I found my wiki. I, too, was not impressed with wiki until I found something I liked. I came across a wiki for Law & Order: SVU, which is one of my faves. From there I was hooked!!