Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Projected Finality...?

As I attempt to progress toward my final project, I am experiencing some difficulty. I started off with the idea of discussing the idea of living sustainably, becoming a compassionate carnivore, hobby farming, and the like. All fine and good.

But the more I research this, the more I realize that it is not my primary motivation toward living such a lifestyle. My children are. They are also hypothetical, but that doesn't stop me from thinking ahead...

Books like Richard Louv's "Last Child in the Woods," call attention to an issue that I think about a lot. Kids just aren't spending the time in nature that they used to.

Not everyone thinks that is such a bad thing. Our society is changing. Indoors, children have access to things that their great-grandparents would never have dreamed of, all through the internet. They have video games, television, and a myriad of distractions that are a normal part of life today. Read my previous post, and you'll see that I'm not rejecting all of that, but I am still concerned.

Researchers have begun to study the effects of nature on children. They have found that kids with ADD & ADHD experience significantly reduced symptoms after exposure to nature, and they are exploring the implications of these studies.

So... I've checked out a few books from the library, I put a bunch of bookmarks on my del.icio.us account, and I think I'm making progress.

No comments: