Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Me, wiki?

No thanks. If it weren't for the assignment I see pending, its unlikely that I would ever edit a wiki. I really don't like changing things that other people have written. If someone writes an article that I disagree with or find gaps in, I'd much rather go to that person and give him or her suggestions than actually just hop in and edit. The whole idea makes me nervous. It's almost like crossing out passages in books that I think I could write better, or writing notes in the margins not just for me, but for the world! It feels so... presumptuous.

I guess I'll have to work on that. Maybe I can find a niche (there's that word again!) that I'll feel comfortable working with. Lets see where today's class takes things.

6 comments:

Nawal said...

I agree. I have never added to a Wiki. I have written on blogs, because I felt so strongly about the topic at hand. As far as changing a web page, I am not interested. Is that bad?

Anne said...

I hope not! Maybe starting our own wikis would be more fun?

Aa... said...

I think it comes from, like Nawal said, and our presenter in class, feeling strongly about a topic.

There's a lot of sharing to do, but only so much time in the day, right?

Unknown said...

Isn't the idea behind wikis that they are written by a group of people, not just one? If someone didn't want their writing changed, then they shouldn't be putting it in wiki form. But, I, too, feel odd, and presumptuous, thinking I'd actually go into someone else's writing and change it ... when responding to writing, it's just that, a response, and it's up to the author to decide whether to take your advice or not ... hmm, there's probably a setting on the wiki that lets the author moderate the changes ... did SZ say that or am I imagining?

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Juanita. I think that the fact wikis are group-written can be easily forgotten and editing them can become an intimidating task. Thanks for the reminder!

Now it's just a matter of finding a wiki I know enough about to edit.

dncrclc said...

I totally agree with what you are feeling. I just feel like I am not knowledgeble (thats spelled wrong, but for some reason that word just doesn't want to come out right) enough to edit something that everyone and anyone can see. Even though I chose to edit my high schools page, I added information about the dance team, which I was one for four years...and we practiced pretty hardcore everyday for those four years, I still felt like I shouldn't be editing it. I wonder if I will ever feel comfortable doing it.